So, we're trying to add a streaming plan on Netflix so we can watch something (Aziz Ansari: Buried Alive). We have an account already since we've had a DVD plan for years. Here are nine UX issues I encountered during this attempt.
1. Different pages have different top navigation buttons. This is ... perplexingly awful.
2. Going to "Account", and get a "technical difficulties" error that it can't load. Keep trying, and can get it to load sometimes.
3. Account page: says we have no DVD plan. We do.
4. Account page: says we have no payment method. We do.
5. Click to "Add streaming plan", get to the regular logged-in home page recommending movies. No way to add streaming plan.
6. Go to Help Center, see a third navigation style/menu at top. Nice touch.
7. Keep trying, finally get to add streaming plan. The only plan available is "Watch on 2 screens at the same time." What does this mean? There is no explanation. We only need to watch on 1 screen. Plus, it simultaneously gives me the cryptic sentence fragment, "Netflix on as many devices as you want." Huh? What's the difference between a device and a screen?
8. Choose streaming plan, get error "We're unable to save the change you requested. Please try again later." It's like they don't want my money. Keep trying, and it eventually works.
9. I went through the above flows several times, on different browsers, and kept getting errors. All along, the pages were incredibly slow to load, even though we have a very good Internet connection here. I can't actually believe it eventually worked.
(Now the top menu has changed again, although this change makes more sense.)